The $640 million hospital is designed to create a dramatic gateway to the city of Burlingame at El Camino Real and Trousdale Drive with extensive landscaping, enhanced view corridors, public art, walking paths and water features.
The main campus entrance is at Trousdale Drive opposite Magnolia Avenue, with an additional pedestrian entrance from the El Camino Real portion of the site.
Key features include:
- Six-story (over one lower level), approximately 450,000-square foot general acute care hospital including an unfinished floor for future expansion.
- Current hospital remains open and fully operational with no reduction in services during construction of the new hospital.
- The new hospital is connected with an approximately 180,000-square foot office building with space for a new multi-specialty physician group, affiliated with the Palo Alto Medical Foundation. Two floors, or approximately 40 percent of the office building space, is for Mills-Peninsula administrative use.
Clinically Safe Environment
- Seismic safety: The project employs an advanced engineering technology called base isolation that provides the highest level of seismic safety.
- 241 beds in private rooms (with the exception of behavioral health, where socialization benefits of two-bed rooms is preferred, and Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU)).
- No recycled air for improved patient safety.
- Pharmacy located next to critical care nursing unit for increased patient safety.
- Technology-ready facility with electronic patient charting and Internet-based capabilities for advanced patient/physician/family communication.
- All medical/surgical patient care rooms equipped to accommodate higher acuity telemetry monitoring capability.
- Emergency department enlarged by 42 percent to accommodate 50,000 visits per year (up from 35,000 visits).
- Emergency department capable of providing trauma care.
- Separate vehicle entrance road for Emergency department.
- First-floor footprint locates Emergency department, operating rooms and imaging services together for optimum efficiency and patient care.
Patient and Family Centered
- Family sleeping accommodations in all medical/surgical, skilled nursing, obstetric, intensive care and neonatal intensive care patient rooms.
- Nine meditation and healing gardens and walking trails for patients, visitors, employees and neighbors.
- 809-car parking garage, plus additional surface parking with level access to the front door.