Mills-Peninsula Receives ‘A’ Grade in Hospital Safety Score
Mills-Peninsula Health Services achieved an “A” grade in the Fall 2013 update to the Leapfrog Group’s Hospital Safety Score, which rates how well hospitals protect patients from accidents, errors, injuries and infections.
Calculated twice per year, the Hospital Safety Score uses 28 measures of publicly available hospital safety data to produce an A, B, C, D or F letter grade reflecting how safe hospitals are for patients. Mills-Peninsula has received “straight A” scores since the inception of the Hospital Safety Score in June 2012.
Mills-Peninsula achieved the highest possible score in the following areas:
- Foreign object retained after surgery
- Air embolism
- Pressure ulcer — stages three and four
- Central line-associated blood stream infection
- Computerized physician order entry (CPOE)
- Leadership structures and systems
- Safety culture measurement, feedback and intervention
- Teamwork training and skill building
- Identification and mitigation of risks and hazards
- Nursing workforce
- Patients received antibiotic within one hour prior to surgical incision
“The quality of care here at Mills-Peninsula is unmatched, as shows in our straight ‘A’ grades in the Hospital Safety Score,” says Bob Merwin, CEO. “I’m very proud of our entire team, who make the safety of our patients their number one priority.”
To select the safety measures and develop a scoring methodology, Leapfrog worked under the guidance of an eight-member panel of patient safety experts from across the country.
“As patients begin to take a more active role in selecting where to receive health care, it has never been more important to focus on hospital safety and transparency. The ‘A’ hospitals, including Mills-Peninsula, are helping us to raise the standards of health care nationwide,” says Leah Binder, president and CEO of Leapfrog.
If you liked this article, you may also like:
Dr. Klonoff Inducted as Fellow of Royal College of Physicians of Edinburgh Bay Area Parent Names Mills Best Hospital & Birth Center on Peninsula